The Victorian authorities are investigating a single new case of coronavirus in the state.
Daniel Andrews reported on Tuesday that the Department of Health and Human Services is investigating whether the case is still active.
“That one new case previously tested positive and there’s a further investigation underway to determine whether that is, in fact, an active case or whether that person is shedding the virus,” he told reporters.
Yesterday there was 1 new case & the loss of 0 lives reported. 1 other case, who has a Vic address, is quarantining interstate having returned from OS. In Melb, 14 day average and cases with unknown source are down from yesterday. https://t.co/eTputEZdhs pic.twitter.com/pNuSFOb32z
— VicGovDHHS (@VicGovDHHS) October 19, 2020
Another COVID-19 case mentioned by the DHHS concerns a Victorian who quarantined the interstate, who had recently returned from overseas.
“I would just say when you look at these numbers, this could potentially be a day of zero and it’s been a long time since we had a day of zero,” Mr Andrews said.
“It’s a testament to the hard work of every single Victorian in the city, in the suburbs, in regional communities, large and small.”
He said the state was “well placed” to put forward the further easing of further restrictions in Melbourne by a week, scheduled for 2 November, after many restrictions had either been reduced or ended on Monday.
“It’s important we see this thing off properly. Sunday can be a day where we’ll have more to say,” Mr Andrews said, ruling out the possibility of hospitality reopening in time for the AFL grand final on Saturday.
“No one game of footy, no one barbecue or dinner with friends is worth all that can be on offer in a COVID-safe summer and a COVID-safe and COVID-normal 2021.”