16 Year Old Girl From Victoria Almost Goes BLIND After A Horrific Allergic Reaction |
Connect with us

16 Year Old Girl From Victoria Almost Goes BLIND After A Horrific Allergic Reaction

Australia

16 Year Old Girl From Victoria Almost Goes BLIND After A Horrific Allergic Reaction

Tylah Durie, 16, from Victoria, was left looking like a ‘frog’ and almost left blinded after suffering a horrifying allergic reaction to hair dye. The beauty student initially noticed her eyebrows beginning to itch and burn just 30 minutes after applying 1000 Hour’s Eyelash and Brow Dye kit. ‘I woke up almost blind because of […]

Tylah Durie, 16, from Victoria, was left looking like a ‘frog’ and almost left blinded after suffering a horrifying allergic reaction to hair dye.

The beauty student initially noticed her eyebrows beginning to itch and burn just 30 minutes after applying 1000 Hour’s Eyelash and Brow Dye kit.

‘I woke up almost blind because of the reaction, my eyes had blown up like huge balloons, I was crying and screaming,’ Tylah said.

‘It was like having beach sand thrown in your eyeballs and not being able to get it out, then a stinging like razor blades on my eyebrows.

Tylah Durie, 16, from Victoria, was left looking like a ‘frog’ and almost left blinded after suffering a horrifying allergic reaction to hair dye‘It was like having beach sand thrown in your eyeballs and not being able to get it out, then a stinging like razor blades on my eyebrows,’ she said

‘My eyes were pretty much swollen shut, I could only see a tiny amount and my eyes were weeping with a lot of puss. ‘

Tylah was unaware that she had a deadly allergy to one of the chemicals in the dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) – as she did not complete a patch test beforehand.

Now, the student has been left with chemical burns on her eyeballs and been warned that if she touches hair dye again in it could ‘kill her.’

‘I was hospitalised and was terrified, doctors said I had a very unusual but severe allergic reaction and could have gone permanently blind,’ she explained.

‘I was hospitalised and was terrified, doctors said I had a very unusual but severe allergic reaction and could have gone permanently blind,’ she explainedTylah was unaware that she had a deadly allergy to one of the chemicals in the dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) – as she did not complete a patch test beforehandTylah was unaware that she had a deadly allergy to one of the chemicals in the dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) – as she did not complete a patch test beforehand

‘I went through inexplicable pain just by tinting my eyelashes and eyebrows… I’m never using dye on myself ever again.’

I was terrified of losing my eyesight at such a young age.

Tylah, who was simply trying to make her lashes and brows look darker, now wants to warn others of her mistake.

‘When I applied the mixture I was fine, I waited ten minutes and then washed it off – it looked really good and was really pleased with it,’ she said.

But because I didn’t do a patch test, within half an hour the skin around my eyes became really itchy.

The beauty student initially noticed her eyebrows beginning to itch and burn just 30 minutes after applying 1000 Hour’s Eyelash and Brow Dye kit (pictured)

‘No one really does the patch test in my family, so I thought I would be okay and hadn’t suffered any reactions when dying my hair in the past, but those dyes didn’t have PPD in them.’

Despite being prescribed antihistamines, the horrified teen noticed blisters forming in her brows and her lashes started to fall out.

‘I was in shock, I was crying and really stressed, I was terrified of losing my eyesight at such a young age,’ she said.

‘An optometrist the next day told me how lucky I was not to have gone blind and now I have to go to see them on a regular basis to monitor the last effects of the damage.’

‘An optometrist the next day told me how lucky I was not to have gone blind and now I have to go to see them on a regular basis to monitor the last effects of the damage,’ Tylah said

Tylah has vowed never to use any form of dye again and urges everyone to perform patch tests.

‘I’m on a lot of medications to heal this and would never wish this pain on anyone, so please do a patch test,’ she said.

I would never wish this pain on anyone.

‘I was really scared by what happened… once you get one reaction from PPD it gets worse and worse each time.

‘If it happens again it could either kill me or leave me permanently blinded.’

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is commonly be found in hair dyes and ink used for henna tattoos.

‘I was really scared by what happened… once you get one reaction from PPD it gets worse and worse each time,’ she explained

Gina Taro, a PPD allergy specialist, said: ‘Reactions can be as small as redness around the edges of your face to itching of the eyes, all the way to chemical burns, blisters and your whole scalp feeling like it’s melting off.’

‘Some people can suffer anaphylactic shock, where you have a small window before your throat closes and you die of suffocation, people have died because of PPD.’

She added: ‘I suspect some stronger reactions are to do with people having micro-abrasions that allows the colour to enter into the bloodstream.’

‘The reactions will become more severe the more times you’re exposed to it, it’s like giving your child peanut butter when they are allergic to peanuts.

‘No one really does the patch test in my family, so I thought I would be okay and hadn’t suffered any reactions when dying my hair in the past, but those dyes didn’t have PPD in them,’ she saidNow, the student has been left with chemical burns on her eyeballs and been warned that if she touches hair dye again in it could ‘kill her’

‘If you’re having a reaction I would recommend going to a dermatologist, if they don’t know what they are doing take print outs from online to give them as much info as possible..’

Jodie Phillips, a spokesperson from Chemcorp Pty Ltd who make the 1,000 Hour product said Paraphenylenediamine or PPD is a common ingredient in hair dyes.

‘It is well known that some people can be very sensitive to the ingredient and hence may find that such products are not compatible with their skin,’ she said.

‘The same is true for any ingredient used in cosmetics but more so with colouring agents.

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is commonly be found in hair dyes and ink used for henna tattoosParaphenylenediamine (PPD) is commonly be found in hair dyes and ink used for henna tattoos

‘For this reason, all colouring products contain very specific and clear instructions that the consumer should carry out a patch test before using the product especially on sensitive areas such as eyebrows and lashes.’

‘We do advise to perform a skin sensitivity test 48 hours before every application of this product.’

She added: ‘We have not had any incidents where a customer has required hospital treatment.’

‘The young lady must have had a serve reaction and I do truly hope that she makes a full recovery.”

 

Source link

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top
Share on Facebook